Thursday, February 21, 2008

Move Over Guys

The stereotype of males as computer “geeks” is in demise. Now, with many sites allowing users to be creators, young girls are flocking to the Internet. Check this February 21, 2008 New York Times article for shifting demographics among the young regarding computer usage. Post your comments on the ramifications for teachers who teach adolescents or pre-teens. Will girls' usage of computers outpace boys? Ask some girls what they think? Ask them how they use the Internet? Ask some boys? What do you learn from the article? How does that compare from what you are hearing from adolescents?

Hyperlink to article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/fashion/21webgirls.html?scp=66&sq=Technology&st=nyt


Illustration: Adam Strange, as appeared with the article in NYT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prof. Arzt, I can't access this article from the hyperlink...it sends me to a nytimes page that asks me to become a member and sign in with a password...is there a way around this? I would love to read it...

Anonymous said...

The New York Times has a habit of sometimes locking readers out. I will try to see if I can get you to the article another way. I have a subscription and can access the article online. The Times does allow emailing articles, so that might be the way to go. I will also add to this post a summary of the article so others have access to this rather provocative article, which raises the point that females are fast surpassing males as "computer geeks." Thanks, Mary Beth for letting me know you had trouble with the URL. I did test it when I posted the blog, and the link worked then. It seems that the Times has since then limited accesss.

Blog Archive

Contributors