Monday, March 22, 2010

Failing Grades for Attracting Women and Minorities into STEM

Several new reports just released show the trend to attract women and minorities into the fields of science, technology, engineering, and math (often designated by the acronym STEM) remains dismal. Here are links to read more about two recently released reports.


Why So Few? AAUW Report

There's a lot to chew over in these two articles. Take some time to read them and to check some of the links to other resources contained within the articles. As educators, we need to be concerned about stereotypes we create and how our attitudes influence the students in our classrooms. What can we do to serve as strong role models to encourage students to pursue interests and eventual careers in the fields represented by STEM, areas in which more and more professionals will be needed in the future to sustain our growth as a world leader? What is our responsibility to encourage students in general to pursue careers in these fields and to start preparing them for such futures in grades as early as the elementary school?

President Obama has already proposed several steps to support STEM. (See "Obama Unveils Plan to Bolster STEM," Jan. 2010.)

So much of the future of our country rests in nurturing young people's interests in the STEM fields. What is your response to the recent reports about our failings as educators to support and nurture young people's interests in the STEM areas? Are the solutions offered in the articles and the related reports feasible? What do you see as solutions?

photo credit: cover from report obtained at
http://www.aauw.org/research/WhereGirlsAre.cfm

5 comments:

Glenn S said...

I very much agree with the concerns expressed in these articles regarding women and minorities participating in STEM. Interestingly enough though, and in regards specifically to the gender baises, I find that the caliber and capability of female studetns in mathematics seems to be surpassing, sometimes far surpassing, the talents and capabilites of the male students. I am not sure if this is an anomaly or just a recent trend. On a personal note, I am trying to encourage minority students to get involved in math and science on a dialy basis. I tell them that the opportunities and rewards are countless.

Makia said...

WHat is seem time and time again is the lack of resources in the inner city school system to support a science classes with appropiate materials and tools for its learners. Most schools in the inner city school system focus solely on math, writing and reading comprehension, where as subjects like social studies and science go unlearned. Inner city schools seem to be teaching their students to the standardized test, instead of teaching a variety range of subjects to broaden the students horizon in their academics studies.

Nancy D said...

Both Glenn and Makia bring up some important and valid points. As someone who was a math major in college (I graduated in 1980) and went to all woman's college similar to St. Joseph's, women were encourage to explore both mathematics and sciences. Would I have been a math major if I had attended a coed school - I am not sure. It was apparent that there were many gifted mathematicians and scientists and we had a mix of both male and female professors in those majors. Initially after college, I pursued a job as an actuary which turned out not to be my cup of tea, but am now in a career (6th grade math teacher) which is especially suited to my math background. Many of my highest performing students are females and I think this generation of girls is feeling more confident with following their strengths in math and science. I am hoping I am a good role model to aspire other females to pursue potential careers in mathematics and am planning to have some outside speakers come into my classroom and talk about their careers.

Brian said...

I am troubled by the facts in this article, as well. The research is undeniable. It has been my experience since becoming a math teacher that when I tell an acquaintance what I do for work, they inevitably tell me not only how much they despised math, but how poor they performed in it. It is completely acceptable to make that proclamation. We are not supposed to be good in math. Can you imagine an English teacher being told by complete strangers that they hated English and were "terrible" at it? This does not happen. Our culture has become one that does not value math proficiency. I do not see this as particularly male or female or having any ethnic relevance, but it is increidbly accepting, even anticipates math failure. I strongly encourage all of my students, both male and female, yet I feel they have fallen prey to very low expectations. I feel that openly expressing these concerns can only help improve the situation. How can we most effectively change this cultural norm?

Linda Turbide said...

I am concerned that people of both genders are not learning more about other cultures, communities, making connections and communicating with people who are living in other parts of the world. How are we all going to become better global citizens if we are so narrow in our global views? How can we become competitive with China and India and Brazil if we do not learn about other cultures and make connections to those cultures. STEM is important if we communicate, understanding art, dance, music, and other languages, etc.
Linda T.

Blog Archive

Contributors